Thursday, February 18, 2010

The memory rewind

There is a wonderful article from John Jordan in Forbes, titled "Do you remember your first e-mail address or Internet purchase?".

Reading the article pulled me back in time to old days and I could relate with almost everything that he talks of, having walked through them. The fall of the Berlin wall, the bombing of Iraq, the first cell phones a.k.a. the bricks, your first e-mail address(es), the first Web, the instant messaging, the first e-purchase, Windows 95, the first text message, search before Google, the tech stock empire, the first flat screen, the first online video, the last photo film, Facebook, going retro etc. Whew, what a list!

We just pass by events without realizing we are passing by history being made!

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/16/google-amazon-nokia-technology-cio-network-internet.html

Thanks John for that amazing trip down the memory lane and recharging my nostalgian batteries.

9 comments:

gils said...

:D tths very easy faar mee...i stl use tht id :D

lakshmi said...

*hifi* gils... me too using the same id... inum kodumai not created by me.

Ramesh said...

Oh , in this blogging world of "kids" who'll have memories of the first PC - complete with 64KB floppy drive and no hard disk. Housed in a room you removed your shoes to enter. I won't betray my age by talking about punched cards .......

India's first email ids had to have giasbg01.vsnl.co.in (or something like that) as your domain !!

TheUncanny said...

Ahhhhhh..definitely nostalgic..

I was a crazy basketball fan back in school..so, my first id was slamdunkkavithaputitup@domain.com or something as ridiculous as that..My id is still a laughing riot even now amongst my sckool frds..hehe

chennaigirl said...

Athu oru periya comedy. Actually when i was in school,together with friends i created ad id with usa.net , and i forgot the domain name and later when i went alone, i typed it wrongly as usanet.com/ and blamed the netcenter for having faulty systems and came back. Apparamaa therinju bayangara vazhisal aayiduthu....

RamNarayanS said...

@gils, @lakshmi-Link open panneengala? :-) That first email address is more a teaser. Good that your first email ID survives. Hotmail, I presume! My first email address was at my previous company, long before web-based email came in and I had my own public IP address. And we used elm to look at mails. Huh!, those were the days.

@Ramesh-Nail on the head, sire. We used to go gaga over 1 MB RAM when 640KB was the default. And I remember the awe, when I first saw Windows 3.1 in action. Surely a long way. My father when he did his Ph.D. brought home stacks of punched cards from IIT Madras with which self and brother played games. Maybe there is some stored for posterity in the attic. :)

Still those domains like giasmdbg01.vsnl.net.in exist deep in the bowels of the Indian telecom departments.

@TheUncanny-:-) That was for sure a weirdo email address.

@chennaigirl-kellappitteenga pohnga. :-) :-)

Swaram said...

Sigh! This is really so interesting :)
Mail id, old is gold .. hv been using the same one :)

Haddock said...

Memory rewind, is good, o be engaged once in way.
It was during one of these rewinds that I came up with the trams of Bombay.

RamNarayanS said...

@Swaram-Old is gold as long as it is gold. :-) I don't even recollect my first public domain e-address, or so I think. :(

@Haddock-That is true. You can catch up with lost things or something else which you may not have paid attention much will come to the fore.