Friday, February 12, 2010

Russian fiction

I am not a littérateur or a very avid book reader, but somehow for me, the following authors wait to be read from Russian literature. I do not know whether I'll do it at all or how much I'll do it, but they are on my list. Hopefully some time, I buy and read at least a few of the unabridged ones, once I clear the ones that are "head of line blocking". (Ha Ha Ha, managed to sneak in a geek term into an absolutely unrelated post :-))

Leo TolstoyWar and Peace, Anna Karenina
Fyodor DostoyevskyCrime and Punishment, Brothers Karamazov
Vladimir NabokovLolita
Anton ChekovHis collection of short stories
Ivan TurgenevFathers and Sons

Maybe some articles in "The Hindu", a long time back, prodded me to cling on to, and remember some of these names and works, with an intent to read them somewhere, sometime. Slaved to random memories, with nuggets of information, useful or useless, lodged deep and they don't seem to fade away and peek out once in a while. This list is one.

6 comments:

Appu said...

With your command over tamil, you can also think about translating :)

R-ambam said...

ennenamo solli manasa kashtapadu thiteenga .. :(

RamNarayanS said...

@zeno-First Bharathiar, next idhu! Onnu rendu poem translate pannavaey time illai, idhellaam thalagaani size books. :)

@R-ambam-Ennaanga sollittaen? :-( :-)

chennaigirl said...

I have heard about only Tolstoy - War and Peace - Mathathu ellam ennavo GREEK AND LATIN maathiri irukku :( . Inime unga post kku oru translation pottudunga.

Sathish Mayil said...

Ha Ha, nice to see I have some company. I want to read War and Piece but the sheer size of the book gives me a fright.

Didn't know about Anton Chekov and Ivan Turgenev so far, will add them to my list.

Not sure whether you have heard about Mother by Maxim Gorky, it's also a nice book. That's the only Russian fiction I have read so far.

RamNarayanS said...

@chennaigirl-Idhellam padikkanumnu oru aasai appadinnu sonnaen, padippaennu sollalai. :-) edhukkunga translation.

@Sathish Mayil-The number of characters in War and Peace possibly outnumber the characters in Mahabharatha. :) Heavy duty books. Need to have tons of patience to pore over. I have heard of Mother by Gorky, haven't read it though.